We love when our clients ask us to find sustainable, environmentally friendly packaging for their brand. Finding the balance between delivering a luxury feel product and being environmentally conscious is not easy. Let’s check out the options currently available in the market.
Compostable mailers are the gold star in environmentally friendly packaging. Your customers can simply place the mailer into their compost bin and it will completely break down within 90 to 120 days. Once they have broken down, it can be used as fertiliser for plants!
What about the stickers?! You can also purchase compostable shipping labels to make sure the bag is 100% compostable.
MAILERS OVER BOXES
Depending on what you are posting to your customers, we suggest using mailer bags over boxes where possible.
While boxes are still a great option, mailers are more compact, have less impact on the environment and cheaper. This is especially great if you follow step one and use completely compostable mailer bags.
If mailers aren’t possible for your product, be sure to choose a box that is made with recycled materials, fully recyclable or compostable.
SUSTAINABLE BUBBLE WRAP/MAILERS
It can be difficult to find a sustainable solution to keeping fragile items safe in the post. There are currently a few options to consider in Australia
- HeroBubble – Herobubble is a product by hero packing which is made from sustainable and degradable materials. It is reusable, durable and comes in multiple colour options.
- Noissue – Noissue provide a mailer bag that can be recycled with the common house hold soft plastics
- Biodegradable packing peanuts – Cornstarch packing peanuts are nearly identical to styrofoam ones in look and function but are completely biodegradable. Cornstarch based packing peanuts dissolve in water and can even be eaten!
GO PLASTIC FREE
We believe in 2022 all Australian e-commerce brands should be working towards reducing as much plastic as possible. A great place to start is to introduce 100% plastic free packaging, the environment and your customers will love you for it.
CHECK OUT THESE BIODEGRADABLE PACKAGING PROVIDERS IN AUS
Here are our favourite environmentally friendly packaging providers in Australia so you can start implementing these steps today:
- Hero Packaging – Hero Packaging makes Earth-saving, home-compostable, zero-waste packaging products that are also kinda cute. But don’t let the cuteness fool you. This company is serious about making a difference.
- noissue – noissue was founded to provide makers, brands and businesses of all sizes access to custom, sustainable packaging. All products on the noissue platform fall into three categories, compostable, recycled or reusable.
- Heaps Good Packaging – Heaps Good are solely focused on finding solutions that make it easier for you to pack guilt-free, knowing you’re doing good by the planet.
So whether you decide to go 100% compostable, plastic free packaging or simply start taking small steps like using sustainable bubble wrap, it all makes a difference to reducing landfill in Australia. Just don’t forget to let your customers know so they are recycling, composting and reusing as much as possible.
If you have any other questions about how we can help you make your packaging more sustainable, please reach out!